Saturday, August 13, 2005

Berlin

Rain rain go away
come again another day
little kiddies want to play
rain rain go away!

So yes, I would have prefered to see Berlin in the sunshine instead of niezelregen, and while I can´t really see myself living in Berlin, I have liked it and think that it has tons to offer visitors. Maybe because I have two more weeks in Germany or because I haven´t traveled during this trip as much as the rest of the group, I seem to have a lot more energy to explore Berlin. In my head, give it a fair chance to make me like it before deciding that I hate it and spend the rest of the time in my hotel room or watching American movies. Hmmm, I guess that was a not-so-subtle dig, but it really irked me that before we had even dropped our bags off at the hotel people were saying how much they disliked Berlin.
So...I put my money where my mouth is and have spent the past few days going around and seeing things: the zoo, the Pergamon Museum, the Jewish Museum, the Berliner Dom, the Synagogue, the Brandenburger Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, Charlottenburg Schloss (with nine of the Fabergé eggs), the Bundestag, and several yummy eiscafés. So...the verdict is that I am very glad that I came, but definitely Berlin is not one of my favorite big cities (though I am thouroughly in love with the Ampelmänne, so much so that I bought an outrageously expensive jacket with the greem Ampelmann on the front and the red one on the back...too cute, too cute.) I still want to come and live in Germany, though!

No comments: