Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Ich bin krank...

Well I'm trying this again. Tip: don't try to spell check your blogs in Internet cafes when you can't read German. Because a pop up will appear that you can't understand, and when you click something it erases your entire blog.

So we're in an Internet cafe in Nurnberg that is on the way from the restaurant back to the hotel. The meat restaurant was actually really good, but probably would have been better if I could have had full use of my tastebuds. I'm sick :( But so is half of the group, so there you go. Granted, I have a super sore throat, not congestion and stomachaches...yet at least. CJ and Lindsey are my favorite people today because CJ went with me this morning to the Apotheke to translate and help me get medicine, and Lindsey gave me a back massage :). The concentrated camomille spray definately doesn't taste good and is a bad way to finish meals, but it helps my throat so its all good. As of right now I just have a swollen, sore throat and am tired, but there is no sign of a fever or infection back there so I'm crossing my fingers that it is not a form of a mono relapse. I need to be better asap!! I'm under strict orders to drink a lot of water and not to talk. I'm doing good on the first one and today I think I temporarily took over Lindsey's title of 'pee pee machen queen'. The second order is much harder to follow because, as you all know or have figured out, I like to talk. I'm doing my best though, because it does hurt to talk. It was the hardest this afternoon during our tour when I wanted to ask questions. But our guide was really good and actually answered most of my questions during her talk without me even having to ask them. It was a very weird feeling to stand and walk around where there were thousands of people at Nazi Party Rallys. To try to process all that stemmed from here in Nurnberg is difficult. After walking through the Nazi Documentation Center and seeing the documentary film clips of the rallys and of Hilter speaking, it was definately easier to understand how so many people could have let themselves be influenced by Hilter and the Nazi ideology. Influencing people's mindsets was the plan. Hitler was a very charasmatic man and he knew which chords to hit. Creepy.

I do wish that we had more time in the Documentation Center. By that time in the day I was very worn out. There was so much to see and hear, and we didn't have nearly enough time for it. But I honestly don't think that I could have walked around much longer. I definately needed my hour-long nap.

No comments: