Monday, August 08, 2005

Berg and Burg

Hehe, I think I should make a blog of all the stupid things I've asked on this trip, but I think that it would be an incredibly long blog...so here's the latest. I was road-tripping with Danny and Sam this past weekend and was thinking about place names and how lots of places end with either -berg or -burg. I asked Dan, the German, what the difference was: was one a bigger castle than the other. Duh! Berg is mountain and Burg is castle... and a Schloss isn't a castle at all, just a big residence. Aye yie yie! German is a hard language to keep straight in one's head. I was also accused of trying to run before I could crawl because I kept asking the German for things like 'link' and 'ticklish' and such. En tut me leit, but I think that the more times I hear something the more likely I will remember the word and why not start now with vocab words like 'scenery' and 'road-trip'? I should also make a list of German words that I know and their meanings: I bet I could get over 100. Not a bad beginning vocab, in my personal way of thinking. :)

No comments: