Thursday, August 04, 2005

Hard to believe...

Quite a bit has gone on since my last post, such as the guided tour of Wurzburg where we went through the palace and the wine cellar, which was really fun, especially tasting the wine and climbing into one of the massive barrels. We then had a tour of the Nazi rallying grounds, such as at the Zeppelin Field. It's hard to explain just how it exactly feels to stand in the place where Hitler gave his "great" speeches. Simply put, it gave me a chill to stand in the square at the Zeppelin field, but actually being there where it all took place is definitely much more impactful on you then just hearing about it in documentaries and books. The tour guide who showed us around the Nazi rally grounds definitely knew her stuff about it all, but the saddest part to me was when she said she's never considered herself a German, and to this day still doesn't. Also when she talked about still getting chills when just hearing the phrase "The Russians are coming" was unnerving to me, because for her to still get chills over that just shows how much of an impact the war had on people's lives. We went to the concentration camp in Dachau today and that definitely was an experience. Like Beth said I've always heard stories and seen pictures about the Holocaust and read Night but you just dont know what it truly is like unless you go there and see it for yourself. The part that hit me the most was when I saw the first set of crematories. I got a chill all the way up my spine when I saw that, and I don't quite know why but I even felt bad taking a picture of it. It really is hard to believe that all of this happened, but it did and it is still, in a sense, affecting people today.

No comments: