Wednesday, August 10, 2005

munich vs. berlin

As far as I can tell, Berlin pales in comparison to Munich. Now I might have a biased opinion, due to the weather, or perhaps it was that British tourguide. I actually didn´t mind his jokes, especially since he made sure it was all in good fun.


I think I´ve figured out why my mood shifted so suddenly when we got to Berlin. Packing up and leaving our host families and Dusseldrof had such a feel of finality to it, that I believe it made us gear up psychologically for our return to the states. It´s been really interesting to sort of dig into my emotions and feelings about Berlin, because it´s almost like I´m experiencing culture shock, only it´s at the very END of the trip instead of the beginning. Is that strange?

The Museum of Medical Hostory was great! I would definately recommend that excursion for future trips to Berlin. The Jewish museum was not at all what I was expecting. I´m sure it was designed with this intent, but the architecture and the general design of the exhibits was extremely intimidating, almost alienating. I remember feeling almost lost in the Garden of Exile, to the point where I felt anxious enough to return to the building. The tower was just as frightening as I expected it to be. When the door shut, and I realized I was completely enclosed by the walls with only sounds and scattered rays of light to guide me in exploring my surroundings, I felt utterly trapped.

No comments: