Monday, August 08, 2005

Austria and the Night Train

This weekend Beth, Ashely, Kristin, and I went to Salzburg and Vienna. We had a really great time taking the Sound of Music tour around Salzburg and the surrounding area. The guide told us the real story of the Von Trap family and showed us the lake district of Salzburg. After Salzburg we went to Vienna and checked in to the Marriot. It was so nice staying in an American hotel with two double beds and it even had an ice machine. On the first day we went to Shunbrun palace, the treasury, and we went to a nice dinner at this local restaurant. I ate the promaggie which was like mashed potatoes wrapped in pasta. Along with that we all drank wine and I am really starting to enjoy the Riesling wines that they have around here. The second day we checked out of our hotel and went to tour the Opera house and St. Stephen's cathedral. We had like four hours to kill after that but all of the stores were closed so we just walked circles around the city. We ended up taking the night train home and we got a nice sleeping car with four little bunks. We ate Brie cheese, crackers, and wine. I was afraid that I wasn't going to be able to sleep, but it really wasn't too bad and the conductor had to wake us up in the morning with our breakfast. Today is our last day at school and with our host families which I am sad about, but I am excited to go home and see my family.

No comments: