Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Back to Life

It's so strange for me to think about what we all experienced this summer. We are all back home now (well at our "home away from home" at least), and things are just as we left them. It's funny but I felt like life here just went along without me. I guess I always knew it would but it still amazes me daily on how much I don't know about what happened with my family and friends while I was gone. I arrived back in the United States two and a half weeks ago and have been running since. Buying furniture for my house here, moving in, sorority recruitment and now school. I still don't feel like I have recovered from our trip!

When people ask me what I did in Germany, I never know how to respond. Well we traveled to 4 different countries, saw a woman with a zipper down her chest who had just undergone open heart surgery, visited animal farms, and learned about German history, culture, and everyday life. I usually try to explain for 3 or 4 minutes and then just end with an "It was just amazing!" I don't think I'll ever be able to really tell someone how much we experienced. How could they understand if they weren't there? How can I tell them what it felt like to take a train to school every morning or order food from someone who speaks no English or stand on the podium where Hitler made his speeches?

One of my roommates is a political science major so we have had some great conversations about German history. It was funny when we started talking because she knew all the facts of the war and Holocaust but still couldn't understand how everything happened. I can't say I blame her. I didn't understand how Germany could have unraveled so fast until I talked to the people there, saw the huge Nazi structures, and experienced Dachau Concentration Camp. I guess she knows the German facts but I know the German feelings.

I've felt more homesick now being in College Station than I ever felt in Germany. Maybe it's the fact that I feel so unproductive and overwhelmed here. I guess it could be too that I just haven't seen my family in so long now that it's finally kicking in. Well, whatever the reason, I'm meeting my family in San Antonio this weekend for shopping and relaxing!

It's been fun seeing everyone in classes and around campus. I see Erik and just think of Jean's everyday saying, "Erik get off the train." Beth always reminds me of Kirsten and Kristoffer - our early morning breakfasts together, playing the German form of The Sims, and our little German flat.

Everyday makes me more and more thankful for our experience. We were so lucky to have such a good group that not only got along but actually ENJOYED being together. I can't wait for our reunion!

No comments: