Wednesday, July 08, 2015

I'll never leave

Yesterday we went on a tour of the Beethoven house and it was really interesting. It was so cool to see the actual house where Beethoven was born and the room he was born in even had the original flooring (so you couldn't walk inside the room). In the museum for the Beethoven house I bought a little music box that played my favorite composition of his Für Elise. When I got back to my host house and was calling my family they all said that they wanted a music box too, so of course I had to go back today to get more music boxes. It's only been a week and I already have bags of Haribo, three music boxes, and a ridiculous amount of postcards to take home as souvenirs. I haven't even been to any of the bigger tourist attractions yet... I'm going to need a bigger bag on the way home.

Today we took a tour of the house of history here in Bonn, it was lead by Dr. Wasser and was super interesting. I really liked learning about post world war Germany and about the Berlin wall. The best part about the history we are learning is that most of it actually happened here. It's so much better than learning it from a text book because we actually get to see historical sites and walk the ground that famous people of the past have walked. Today I also realized that we only have one more German class. I am super sad about this. Germany already has a special place in my heart and I have only been here for a little over a week. I love the people here and I love the language. I've already started planning my trip back to Germany. I really want to keep learning German once I return to the United States. I don't know if I will be able to leave though, I love it here so much and I'm pretty sure Rosi (my host mom) wouldn't mind if I stayed. 

I used to think Texas weather was crazy, now I know I was wrong. When we arrived in Bonn it was really hot. The first couple of days were in the upper 90s and then all of the sudden it started hailing and the next day it was in the 60s. I did not make a typo either, I repeat it started hailing when it was above 90 degrees. Tonight it might get into the upper 40s too. I just don't understand how the weather can change this drastically in this short amount of time. All of us were sneezing in class when it happened because we are totally not used to this! It does feel better than being constantly sticky from sweating, so I can handle the change of temperature (for now).

Bis bald!

No comments: