Sunday, July 19, 2015

Czeching Out Praha

During our second free weekend, I traveled to Prague in the Czech Republic. As we crossed the border from Austria into the Czech Republic, I immediately noticed a difference. The buildings surrounding train stations that we stopped at looked architecturally different. Also, the building looked more worn and tired. It was exactly how I had pictured in my mind East Germany would look like. It was interesting to see how communism really changed this country and how it was obvious when you looked at things. On one of our tours we learned the Czech Republic has only been free from communism for 25 years; however, remnants of it still remain in the city.

While I had been worried our first night, the next three days I found Praha to be a beautiful city with many interesting things to do. On Saturday, I took a tour of the Prague Castle which is the largest medieval castle in the world. It was so stinkin neat!!!! It was so huge and the architecture styles varied from building to building since they had been restored and built over the centuries. One second you would be standing by a Gothic style palace then by some Italian style building which had been hand scratched to create a very unique look.

While I have enjoyed traveling and seeing all the different architecture styles in Europe and historical artifacts, I am glad to be returning to Bonn today on the train for just a short bit before going out for more adventures!!!

No comments: