Monday, July 27, 2015

Amsterdam Adventures

For out last free weekend, we went to Amsterdam. I really enjoyed my time there, and I got to see a lot interesting things. My absolute favorite thing in Amsterdam was the Anne Frank Museum. Overall, it was a great trip.

The very first thing I did was go to the Anne Frank Museum. It was absolutely amazing. I have never seen anything like it. It was so moving listening to a recollection of her life from her perspective, from some of her friends and acquaintances, and from her father. It was such a memorable experience, there are no words that can justly express that experience. After that, we went to a market. It was really cool. There were so many different booths with homemade goods and foods. It was definitely a great experience. Then we went to a cafe and ate some Dutch apple pie. It was delicious! Right around that same time the weather started going crazy. It only sprinkled at first. Then the wind started going crazy, postcard stands were blown over and people's umbrellas were turning inside out and breaking. I have never experienced that strong of a wind in my life. It was insane! We were ducking into buildings or anywhere that was dry while we were trying to figure out where we were going. We ended up at the Diamond Museum. It was interesting. I didn't know that diamonds were first found in India. When we left that museum, it seemed like the worst of the storm was over. Once we ventured outside again, there were leaves all over the side walk, trash cans overflowing with broken umbrellas, umbrellas run over on the street, branches broken out of trees. It was mind boggling.

Sunday the weather was 100% better. We were able to see down town Amsterdam and walk along the outskirts of the Red Light District. We saw the I amsterdam sign, got stroopwaffels, and walked through Vondel Park. It was a much more relaxing and pleasant day than Saturday. Then we caught our train back to Bonn. We made it back with a few delays, and I am definitely glad to be back in Bonn.

Amsterdam was nice, but I am glad to be back in Bonn.

No comments: