Thursday, July 30, 2015

London in a day...aka mission impossible

I still got to see London, but by the time we arrived in the central part of the city after a delayed flight (3.5 hours to be exact), it was a short day. Even if the flight had been on time, there's no way I could have seen everything on my list in the city. And having 3 and a half hours of sleep the night before didn't help. Sarah and I jumped on and off the tram to see the London tower, London bridge, London eye, and the Buckingham palace. The lines to get into any of the attractions were at least 3 hours, so waiting wasn't an option. That just means that I'll have to go back to London another time, which I can't complain about.

After doing a little sightseeing, we shopped all afternoon because it's cheaper for Sarah to shop in London than in Germany. They had a lot of the same stores that I have access to in America, but there were some nice European stores that were fun to look through. Germany doesn't have Victoria's Secret stores and the UK only has one and it happens to be in London. We spent at least an hour exploring the three floors. When we finally got back to the hotel around 11 and got ready for bed, wouldn't you know that the toilet broke. It wouldn't stop running and I had to go get someone to fix it...at midnight...and I lost my voice starting Saturday and I stubbornly kept talking, only making it worse.

It was worth the amount of traveling just to visit with Sarah, who I haven't seen in over a year. We spent Sunday afternoon in her city, Aachen, walking around and eating Mexican food. I had been told to NEVER trust the "Mexican" food here, but by that point I figured it was worth a shot and I relied on Sarah's judgment of good food. I have to say, I was impressed by how good it was. It was definitely different than Mexican food in Texas, considering that Sarah ordered a burger with sweet potato fries and I had lemon coconut fajitas...but everything tasted really yummy. When we were done eating, her cousin and nephew met us at the restaurant so that I could meet them. Her nephew is about 2 and has too much energy for his own good. Reminded me of my niece!

No comments: