Monday, July 20, 2015

Making Prague-ress with these blogs...

I apologize for the puns but they're my favorite.

Our second free weekend was spent in Prague which we came to after our excursion in Vienna. I was really looking forward to Prague and thought it was going to be my favorite weekend but I liked Salzburg better. I have a lot of Czech background in my family so visiting Prague was really important to me. And though I did love it, the city was just very touristy and it got to be exhausting. Probably my favorite thing I saw was the John Hus statue in Old Town Square. John Hus was a priest who then disagreed with several of the Catholic churches teachings and became a major Protestant reformer about 100 years before Martin Luther. The Brethren church that lots of my family attends and that I have grown  up close to is founded under him. He was burned at the stake for being a reformist so finding his memorial and getting to actually see it in person was a very moving experience for me because I have grown up hearing the name so much.

I really enjoyed seeing the sights of Prague. I loved the astrological clock in Old Town and the Charles Bridge and the Prague Castle. I liked the John Lennon Wall and the cute French marketplace we strolled through. One night we went to a ballet and saw Romeo and Juliet and it was very beautiful and amazing to be able to see a ballet in such a cultured city. I also enjoyed when we went out dancing one night and everybody had such a fun time together. But it is such a large city and it was very crowded and hot. There was construction and people going on right outside our hostel window all day long. And some of the people there were not as nice as they have been in other places. I think one day I will probably want to go back to Prague but I would rather explore more of the countryside next time because the crowded city streets quickly became overwhelming. 

Our next adventures take us to Hannover, Norderney, and Amsterdam. I'm sure there will be lots of learning, pictures, and amazing memories.

No comments: