Sunday, July 05, 2015

I sweat so much I could build my own spa.

so the first week in Germany is done. Definitely an interesting one. Lets talk about the plane ride. I couldn't sleep at all cause I was just so darn excited. You never know how many compartments are in an airplane bathroom till you have been on a 9 hour flight. 11 if you were wondering.
So while I was on the plane every time they asked me if I wanted a drink I said white wine, because I can. I'm 21. When it came breakfast time the flight attendants came up to my aisle and asked "How do you like your coffee?" Im not a big coffee drinker so I didn't know what to say. But the flight attendant was like " One guy up in first class said that he likes his coffee cold and bitter like my women." Literally the funniest thing I heard that day. Never heard that one before so it made me laugh. I got off plane and I'm pretty sure gravity has a stronger pull down here.

So my host mom is outstanding. She's super nice and sweet. Today she had her choir group over and it was cool hearing them sing in German. I have my own room. The whole house is made of wood so that means pretty much if I fart the whole house will vibrate. awkward. It doesn't have air contending either.. That is the only thing I don't like so far is that no places have have A/C. and it's been like 90-95 degrees this week so it has been a real struggle. so real. I have to take a shower at night and in the morning because I wake up in the morning just covered in sweat. Then the sweat dries and your skin is all sticky. It's so attractive. Also I have noticed that most of the Germans have nice muscular calves. I guess thats cause they walk and bike everywhere..
They have some really weird drinks down here. I have had a Fanta mixed with beer, coke & beer, lemonade & beer, and sprite in beer. Literally the weirdest thing. But they're soooooooo good.
We are taking German classes and classes of the History of Medicine. I learned that Medical school in Germany is totally free and the doctors don't have to pay for malpractice insurance. In Germany healthcare is guaranteed to all 80 something million citizens that they have. And in Germany if you lose your job you don't lose your health insurance. Fun fact, in 2006 they started requiring the Germans to pau a cash payment when visiting the doctor of 40 euros. Which is maybe 50 U.S dollars.  There Germans got angry and it was appealed. Thats pretty much what I learned the first day of class.

So we did have a 4th of July party while we were here. 'Merica. They set up a bunch of U.S flags, had band, and had a "Barbecue." The barbecue consisted of German sausage and chicken. It was definitely good but no barbecue. The band opened up with Katy Perry's Firework. Which is one of my favorite songs. So that made me happy.

The company we are doing the study abroad through 'AIB' had a huge soccer cup today which was sooo much fun. Tomorrow we are taking a train to Cologne and we are hitting up the Claudius spa, a cable ride over the Rhine River, and this thing called Team Escape. sooo be looking for pictures and snapchats. I do have a few other stories but I will save that for another time.
So far it has been an awesome experience! I have had a lot of fun. Well, till next time


Collin Telchik


No comments: