Monday, July 27, 2015

All Types of Medical Approaches in Germany

During the last week, we traveled through Germany to spend a day in Hanover and three days in Norderney. During the week we learned about medicine in Germany, we visited a hospital, a research clinic, and the Badehaus.

It was interesting to visit the hospital. I was expecting it to be cooler with air conditioning perhaps. However, there was no air conditioning. However, in general it looked similar to an American hospital. It was interesting to learn that a lot of new treatments are tried in Germany first before the US since the US has higher restrictions.

At the research clinic, we learned how axolotl regeneration is being studied and how spider silk is being used. The spider silk can be used to reattach skin to burn patients and reconstruct damaged nerves. While I enjoyed listening about the spider silk research more. I did enjoy looking at the axolotls more. Much much more. I did not go into the room to view the spiders and was way too close for comfort as it was. I enjoyed the research clinic and learning about new and innovative approaches to helping all types of patients so they can live a better life.

On Norderney, we had the chance to learn a lot about alternative medicine. Alternative medicine is taken very seriously in Germany especially in comparison to the US. We went to the Badehaus which is a salt water therapy spa. Doctors in Germany can give their patients prescriptions to go and visit the spa to rejuvenate and refresh. After we had a lecture at the spa, we had the opportunity to enjoy it for a couple of hours. When the 2-3 hours were over, I felt like a new person. My skin was the softest I ever remember it being. And I just felt like I had so much energy. This experience made me understand why a doctor would want to send a patient that really was just exhausted to rest at a spa. It is relaxing.


No comments: