Monday, July 20, 2015

Until next time Austria...

Today is July 20, 2015 but I wrote blog posts on other days while we were traveling that I'm just now putting up. They may not be in chronological order and my thoughts are scattered all over the place in them but I'm glad that I've had this chance to document our adventures outside of Bonn.




Wow has the time gone by... We have been trekking about Europe for the past 10 days now and needless to say I am getting tired of living out of a suitcase. But it's definitely worth it to be able to travel like this and see all the amazing things I've seen. 

I have really missed Bonn and I'm really glad we are going back today. I wish we were going to be in Bonn longer though. We're going to have to do so much laundry. We're all so completely exhausted but we knew that was part of how it would be. Bonn is honestly probably my favorite place we've been. It feels safe and like a home and it's so nice to feel like I have a place that feels like home even here in Europe.

The past ten days we have gone from Salzburg to Vienna to Prague. Salzburg was definitely my favorite. It's smaller and quaint. Still pretty touristy but not as bad as Prague. In Prague there were sooooo manyyyyy people. It was ok at first but got to be overwhelming and I think we were all looking forward to heading back to Germany. We've all pretty much associated Bonn as our home here and I think we all got a little homesick for Bonn while we were away. Vienna was beautiful but also just huge. There's so many people everywhere you go. 

Of the three cities Salzburg was my favorite. It's the smallest of the three and was absolutely gorgeous. It's nestled in the mountains and hills with the Salzach River cutting through it and a huge fortress, amazing churches and delicious food. Salzburg is where The Sound of Music was filmed so several of us went on a tour to see lots of the film locations. While in Salzburg we also went paragliding and that was definitely my favorite part. Seeing the Austrian countryside and the mountains was truly an experience I'll never forget.

From Salzburg we headed to Vienna to meet up for more History of Medicine learning with Dr. Wasser and Helen. We also had free time there to pick out a few things we wanted to see. One of my favorite things we did in Vienna during our free time was going to the State Hall. It's a really old library with 200,000 books and some really old manuscripts. It's the dream library that every girl who has seen Disney's Beauty and the Beast dreams of having. It was absolutely incredible. Also in Vienna we went into the crypts under St. Michael's Church. That was amazing. I've never seen anything like that in my life. There were so many skeletons and even a couple that had been mummified. It was truly an honor to be able to be in such a sacred place that has been preserved so well throughout all these years.

I have really enjoyed getting to learn so much about the history of medicine in the places where it took place. I think that we often take for granted the history of our desired profession but I've realized from this trip that it's absolutely crucial for us to know thoroughly about our history and where medicine has come from to be able to clearly see where medicine is headed in the future. 

No comments: