Monday, July 06, 2015

AH-Mazing Authentic German History Everywhere

I can't believe it has been a week since I left the states. The time has flown by! The flight here took forever. I just wanted to be landing in Germany from the moment we took off. I was too excited to sleep on the plane which resulted in terrible jet lag. However, I did struggle through staying awake the entire first day in Germany. Nothing that happened that day made much sense. My brain was like mush.

I met my host mom who is amazing. She has been very helpful in explaining how to get around Bonn and the importance of the objects in the pictures I take. One day I got home and showed her where we ate lunch. I thought it was a pretty gate in the middle of the city. Nothing more. Then she explained to me it was an old medieval gate that use to surround the city. The "Stern Tor" or stars gate. I was stunned that I had eaten under a piece of history.  Walking, Sitting or Standing by a piece of history is NO BIGGIE when in Germany!

Classes have been interesting. We have been learning German which has been a struggle. I barely remember any of it by the end of the day. Our teacher is very energetic about teaching us German. It is the most terrifying thing when she asks you a question because you never know what she is asking and you don't know how to reply. I get instant relief when she asks someone else a question first because I can learn the "correct response".

We have learned a little in the history of medicine about how other countries handle and run there healthcare. It has been eye-opening to see how other countries do it compared to the US. Also, to learn that America doesn't necessarily have the best healthcare statistics.

Besides class there have been many adventures and LOTS of fun and LOTS of walking. There seems to be history everywhere you turn. Which is Ah-Mazing! I love it. If only I could read in German.

No comments: