Friday, July 31, 2015

City of Sin

Ah Amsterdam, the city of sin. I wish I could have spent more time in Amsterdam because the weather was almost frightening. The apocalypse started on Saturday, so we were almost house-ridden all day. Trees fell on cars, power lines split apart, and trains and buses couldn’t go anywhere because of the fallen trees. Not to mention it felt like 0 degrees C with the cold wind and icy rain. We managed to check out the Heineken factory. I did not know Heineken was such an international beer; I would call it the Coca-Cola of beer. Also Heineken contains only four simple ingredients: water, barley, hops, and yeast. According to the Heineken experts, the yeast defines Heineken. Heineken hired a scientist, who happened to be an ex-student of Louis Pasteur, to formulate the perfect yeast, and he came close. The yeast is still in use today. (I am not getting paid by the Heineken people to write this. I actually gained respect for Heineken on the tour.)
              The first night in Amsterdam I was exhausted. I had no desire to go out, but my group eventually wore me down, so I went out. There is only one place to go in Amsterdam past midnight, and that is the Red Light District. I know what you are thinking, but the Red Light District has much more than prostitution. Bars and clubs line the streets along with “coffee shops”. Supposedly, the coffee shops do not only sell coffee, but they also sell more “herbal” cocktails. I think once in the Red Light District is enough. That’s all it takes to get the jist of the place. We played it safe that night. We only went to an Irish pub for a few drinks which is probably the safest thing you can do in the Red Light District. After that, we took a cab back to the hostel. I neither like nor dislike the Red Light District, but other people have strong opinions about it. One waiter in Amsterdam told us that he likes it. His logic is that the prostitution is going to happen anyways, so it is better that it be regulated by the government to protect everybody involved. I understand that, but I understand the other argument as well. To each their own, but I hope that Amsterdam never changes. 

No comments: