Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Accidentally Packed Texas Weather Sorry Guys

A week has gone by in Bonn. Hopefully it will be the most stressful week; the public transportation system took me a while to figure out. Aside from that detail, the last week blew me away. My two highlights were the spa in Cologne and the castles just outside of Bonn. These were two great European experiences, particularly the spa in Cologne.
              I did not even know this spa existed until Collin asked me if I wanted to go. The spa we visited, Claudius Therme, has a great location nestled next to the Rhine and among the great city of Cologne. The spa is divided into two sections: one with nude people, and one without. However, this division is not strictly enforced because I saw exceptions on both sides of the border. Anyways, the water in the large pool was the perfect temperature. Just floating around in the somewhat briny water felt amazing especially in the Texas-like weather we experienced. The water jets massaged my legs which were mildly sore from walking. Then we had the idea of visiting the sauna. I love saunas. So naturally, I really wanted to go. The only catch was that the saunas were across the border. I swallowed my pride, and Colin and I went across. It really was not as big of a deal as some of my fellow Americans might think. I did not catch any judgmental vibes; everybody was just happy to be there enjoying the sauna. I would most definitely do it again.
              Schloss Drachenburg is the first castle I have ever visited, and hopefully it is not the last one. My only real complaint is that all of the information in the castle was in German. On the other hand, the architecture was absolutely beautiful. Having only been built in the 1860s, the castle was in great condition. However, I was most fascinated by the ruins at the top of the hill near Schloss Drachenburg. The ruins have been around since medieval times, and their history is probably a lot richer. The only downside is that very little historical information on the ruins exist. Instead I liked to create my own stories in my head while sitting among the ruins on top of the hill.

              My culture shock was not bad. My only scary incident was getting lost on the bus, but all I did was ask for directions and I found my way. Ordering at restaurants can be somewhat awkward because the waiter usually speaks to me in German at first, so I just stare with a really confused look on my face until I can say “Englisch bitte”. Most Germans are quite affable, and I do not feel intimidated being here. I look forward to the next few weeks.

No comments: