Monday, July 27, 2015

Vienna - Prague - Hannover

            This past week we finished our excursion in Vienna. We went to a wax museum at the medical school. They made wax models of cadavers that they used to teach medical students. It was cool how detailed and accurate these models were. We then went to the Freud house where he both lived and did psychiatric analysis on his patients. Freud was very interested in people’s sexual feelings in psychiatric analysis and enjoyed smoking cigars, so an artist came through the museum and put up some penis statues, some cigar statues, and some penis/cigar hybrid statues. I’d be interested to see the psychiatric analysis of the artist. I guess I just don’t understand art sometimes. We also went to the museum of natural history, it was basically a lot of stuffed animals. We saw the largest prehistoric turtle skeleton, which the United States accidentally sold to the Austrians, not our proudest moment I guess.
            On Thursday we left for Prague for our second free weekend. Prague was an interesting place. The city was cool, but the people were unfriendly for the most part. On Friday I flew a plane about a half hour outside of Prague, it was awesome! The pilot took off and immediately let me take the stick. I flew around for 30 minutes then he took over to land. I guess I did pretty well since I’m still alive to write this blog. The next day we toured the Prague castle, it was a little disappointing that we couldn’t go inside, but the views from the castle were great. So that day at lunch we went to what looked like a nice restaurant. We ordered our food; they were a little impatient and short with us, which wasn’t too unusual for Prague. Then the waitress told me to “wake up” when I didn’t instantly claim my food when she brought it out, so at this point I decided she wasn’t getting a tip from me. Then they just didn’t bring out three peoples food, brought us our bill and made a point to tell us service wasn’t included and we should tip 10%.  Needless to say, I didn’t tip, and between the eight of us they got one crown for service (which is about one quarter). For some reason they genuinely thought they earned a tip and were furious, the waitress not so subtly threatened to murder us, so we got out of there. I think after this experience we were all ready to head back to Bonn.
            On Sunday we went back to Bonn for just enough time to wash our clothes, repack and leave for Hannover on Tuesday. In Hannover we visited the largest heart and lung transplant/ implant center in Germany and got a presentation from one of the doctors. It was really interesting, I didn’t know we had the technology to attach a pump to the heart to help certain heart diseases.  After that we visited a research center where they studied regeneration using Axolotls that can regenerate entire body parts with no scarring. They also harvested spider silk to use as scaffolding for certain regenerative procedures. They told us they successfully filled an 8 cm neuron gap in someone’s arm using spider silk coiled inside a blood vessel as scaffolding to regenerate the neurons. They’re apparently researching this technique for ALS as well.
            Today we leave for the island of Norderney in the North Sea, Ill post a blog about it soon.


Wednesday 7/22/2015

No comments: