Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Free weekends are fun

So this is a couple days after the fact because technology and I don't quite get along, but let's pretend this was Monday morning the 13th. 

As I write this blog, we are on a train to Vienna after finishing our first free weekend. We spent our free weekend in Salzburg, Austria and wow was it full of adventure and beauty. I think all of us may have experienced a little culture shock after moving from Bonn to Salzburg due to how touristy Salzburg is set up. This was definitely evident in prices and sheer number of people alone. We were all used to paying anywhere from .80€ to 1€ for a scoop of gelato (a daily occurrence) so imagine our shock when they wanted 1.30€ in Salzburg. Bonn may have spoiled us a tad. However, the whole trip in itself was so worth the 7.5 hour train ride to get there from Bonn. 

Friday night we got in late, checked into our hostel and then went in search of food which was an adventure in itself in a new city after dark. We managed to find food and then it was time for bed so we could wake up early for PARAGLIDING! I'm definitely one for adventure, outdoor activities, and adrenaline so I couldn't wait to get up in the air. I was in the last group so after over 2 hours, it was finally my turn! One perk of waiting so long though was that I got to pick the pilot who I saw do the most spins and crazy acrobatic like stuff in the air..this was by far the best part of the ride! I really don't even have words to describe how incredible the whole flight was though. The views of the Austrian Alps from that high in the air were breathtaking and I even got some really great pictures from my pilot's go pro and selfie stick (selfie stick coming in clutch). Of course everyone bought the disk with all the pictures and videos on it because we couldn't help ourselves.  After paragliding, we came back to town and some of the group went to the fortress. A fortress, yeah you read that right, like who has those anymore? It was so cool to see the inside and get a mini tour of it all. Due to the fortress being so high up on the cliff we got even more amazing pictures. Overall, it was such a great day and Salzburg gave us some great sights. 

Sunday was another day of adventure for some of us. My group of 6 split off from the others who were going on the Sound of Music Tour--so not my thing lol. Instead, we spent a good portion of our day canyoning. That was a great decision! None of us knew exactly what we were getting ourselves into so I couldn't exactly explain to my parents what I was doing. But I did get a text from my mom saying that, "Dad looked up what you are doing and it looks scary and be careful", haha oops sorry mom and dad. Our excursion was filled with cliff jumps, rock slides, some hiking mixed in, and even abseiling down a giant waterfall! The last of which did not go so well for me...I think I forgot the crucial part of keep your feet high enough but not too high and well...they ended up over my head and I was upside down getting a face full of water. It's all an experience is all I have to say and even that couldn't put a damper on the day because it was so funny. After our canyoning tour we stopped at Hangar 7 on the way back to town. I must add in that we had the best taxi driver. He asked if we wanted to make a pit stop and that's where we ended up. I mean, how cool is that? The building is made mostly of glass, so much so that it looks like a giant glass bubble. The building is almost as cool as all the stuff inside of it. Hangar 7 belongs to Red Bull and they keep a lot of their planes and cars there and can pretty much take them out whenever, because the building is right next to the Salzburg airport so they have a runway right there. 

Thank you Salzburg for such an amazing weekend. We had a blast and now it's time for Vienna. 


Sent from my iPad

No comments: