Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Authentic German Experience!

We have survived our first week in Bonn, and it has been amazing! It was a little nerve wracking at first, trying to figure out the buses, getting to and from the new or old AIB, and learning our way around town in general. Meeting my host family was great! So far everything has gone well. 

The class has been interesting. At first I was not very excited to learn about the healthcare in general; however, it ended up being very interesting comparing the U.S. healthcare system to some of the other models in Europe. We also talked about the healthcare system with our host mom, and it was amazing how much her reaction and explanation mirrored Dr. Wasser's explanation. We also started talking about the prehistoric medicine. I never thought about it being a "profession" back then. I knew it had to exist, but not necessarily like that. Everything about the class has been extremely interesting!

We have also been able to see a lot of sights in and around Bonn. The Drachenfels Castle and Ruins were gorgeous! We also went to the Birkenstock Factory, which was interesting. I have never seen so many shoes in one place. I think my favorite so far has been Munster Church. The size of the church was astonishing. The inside was beautiful, and the courtyard was amazing with all the tombstones some dated back to 1637. It's so amazing to be able to see history in front of you. 

So far this program has been great!!! I cannot wait to see what other adventures lie ahead!

No comments: