Monday, July 27, 2015

Heaven and My Personal Hell

After our short (very short as in 1 day) stopover in Bonn we headed out on a train to Hannover. Can we just pause to say how tired I am of trains. They were cool at first, but  train butt is real much like plane butt and car butt. 

Hannover is very much the hidden gem just like Bonn. I loved it. Top 3 cities so far...Bonn, Salzburg, and Hannover. It was calm and quiet but with plenty of people and  also things to do. Plus it was incredibly pretty and green as shown by our balcony covered in ivy. P.S. Callie, Cassie, and I were the only lucky ones to get the balcony :) 



Nicole even managed to navigate us to this super cute beer garden tucked back in the trees and next to a park. -Nicole is Siri- #whenindoubtnicoleitout 

But now to the important things we did while there that may have been the most fun, entertaining, and informative yet. Our first order of business was to meet with Dr. Schmitto however he got called into surgery so we met with his colleague instead. His colleague is a cardiac surgeon as well who gave a presentation on LVADs. These are otherwise known as Left Ventricular Assist Devices. He gave a brief history behind them as well as where the research is going.  We were also able to watch a video of how they work and how they are implanted. The funniest exchange happened between Dr. Wasser and the man presenting. While explaining how the device can affect some proteins Dr. Wasser asked how and if it alters any others and the man replies with a simple "I'm a surgeon I don't know". While there, the doc also explained how the transplant system works in Germany and how much harder it is to get a heart transplant in Germany than in the U.S. even. People who are waiting for transplants must meet the age and health requirements to even be eligible and then they must stay in the hospital while waiting.  All of it was very interesting to compare how different things are medically between Germany and the states. 

The next stop for the day was the Axolotl Research Center. This is the center for a lot of reconstructive and regenerative medicine research. We talked to two ladies who each gave a presentation. One on spider silk and the other on axolotls and how they can regenerate body parts. How cool is that?! The one about spider silk was so amazing to hear what they can do with it. -Side note: I am basically deathly afraid of spiders and I had a spider encounter earlier in the day which should've been my first clue as to how the rest of my day was going to go.- But carrying on, they have made grids of spider silk to grow human skin cells on to then use and skin patches and the skin tends to grow incredibly well on it. They also showed us the model of how they used spider silk to save one guy's arm and the motor function. He was in a car accident and instead of amputating his arm, they brought him to Hannover where they used the spider silk and a vein to provide the axon with a channel to connect to and subsequently repair what had been damaged. Some time later he came walking into the research center repaired arm extended to shake their hands. That very rewarding experience was very evident in the woman's face when she was giving her presentation. After the conclusion of both presentations, we were granted access to the Axolotl lab and let me just say these things are ADORABLE! 



There is a specific gene that provides the, regenerative capabilities. One Axolotl was in the process of regrowing one of his limbs and in another tank there were several regrowing their external gills. They can regrow their limbs, tails, and gills. Super cool stuff!! They love when people come in to see them mainly because they think they're getting fed, and when you wave your fingers over the top of the tank, they use their little t-Rex arms to swim to the top and it's probably the cutest thing ever. 

Once finished with the cute little critters, it was time for the spider room. AKA not cute little critters. When I say spider room I mean room. Like a big room with no cages just for the spiders to enjoy and make webs in. Basically my personal hell. They open the door and wouldn't you know a spider decided to make her web in the door way. Cool. This is NOT starting well for me. I was this close to not going into the room but I decided that I should do it while I have the chance or I might regret it...probably not but just incase. So here I go ducking down under the web and into the room.  Silently panicking on the inside although I'm sure it was blatantly evident on my face there I stood taking it all in. I was ok for the most part because the creepy crawlies weren't moving at all...apparently they don't like people. That was until Callie decided to touch the web which sent the spider SPRINTING up her web which sent me tap dancing and screaming my way over to Lauren who I latched onto because she happened to be the closest person to me in my moment of panic. After that boy was I done. Like so done I was crawling back out the door, under the web, and into the safety of the hallway. 


There's a spider in the very center of the door
This would be said spider in the door
















Trauma over for the day we headed back to the hotel, split up for dinner and carried on with the rest of our night. Now this morning we were up bright and early headed out on a train to Norddeich Mole and then on to the island of Norderney, but more on Norderney later. 

No comments: