Monday, July 20, 2015

Czech this out!

For the second free weekend, our group went to Prague. I did not think there was going to be such a difference from Austria to the Czech Republic, but there was a noticeable difference. I did enjoy seeing the sights in Prague; however, I definitely like being in Germany better.

On our first day in Prague, we saw the Tyn Church, Astronomical Clock, Charles Bridge, and John Lennon Wall. The Astronomical Clock was very interesting. It has so many intricate details, which must have made it very tedious to create back in the day. I thought the legend that went along with the clock was interesting. I cannot believe that the man who created was purposefully blinded so that there would only be one in the world and it would be in Prague. The Charles Bridge was very majestic. I thought it was unusual that people on the bridge were rubbing the depiction of a man being pushed off the bridge. That does not seem lucky to me. The Lennon Wall had an interesting story behind it. A group of teenagers started it during the communist rule in the Czech Republic as an act of rebellion against the communist government.

On our second day in Prague, we went on a tour of the Prague Castle and Castle District. I never knew there were so many different palaces in Prague. We were able to see the Strahov Monastery. The monks at this particular Monastery actually used to make beer for the king. This beer is known as "holy beer" and can now be served to the public. Once we arrived at the Prague Castle gates, our tour guide stopped and talked to us about different statues around the castle and current conditions with the Czech government. There was a man standing outside the gates protesting. It turns out 15 days from that Saturday, he will have been protesting for 6 years! The Prague Castle was intriguing. It was another town inside the walls of the Castle. Saint Vitus' Cathedral was also inside the Castle walls. The tour overall was very interesting for me. I learned a lot more about Prague and the Czech Republic than I ever could have had I just walked around the Castle on my own.

On Sunday, I was able to see the Petrin Tower. It was modeled after the Eiffel Tower; however, it is only a quarter of the size and the same height. The Czechs built the tower on a mountain so it could be the same height. It was cool to see it up close because I have never seen the real Eiffel Tower. It was surrounded by trees and gardens, which made the surroundings very pretty. Then we went and the Dancing House. It definitely stood out from all the other buildings. The Dancing House has much more modern architecture than the buildings that surround it.

I was definitely looking forward to getting back to Bonn. I missed Germany and could not wait to get back. I definitely felt like I was going home. Even though it is only for a day. I am still looking forward to the adventures yet to come.

No comments: