Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Vienna Vienna Vienna

(originally written 17/01/2010)

I can’t believe I will soon be departing from Austria after spending three marvelous weeks throughout Europe. Austria is by far different compared to the German cities I’ve visited. I must say the people are exceedingly unfriendly and the town seems very “antique”…if that make any sense. Being sick for two days while visiting didn’t help adjusting to the angry environment.

I enjoyed visiting the Medical University of Vienna, however. Professor März’s presentation on medical education in Austria was quite interesting considering my recent acceptance into medical school. Our education systems are so different; it’s intriguing. Unlike Texas medical schools, Austrian medical schools do not interview applicants, review essays or ask about the applicant’s motivation. Austrian students also only have to pay about 16€ per semester. There are even more differences in the grading scale and testing system. Makes me question the comparative quality of American physicians versus international physicians. There seems to be no such comparison.

I also enjoyed the Freud Haus Museum. I find it amazing to have stood in the house in which Freud lived and carried out his practice, especially with my minor being psychology. However, the ultimate highlight of my stay in Vienna was our visit to the State Opera. What an experience! I enjoyed every minute of the 3 hour performance. “Le Nozze di Figaro”, the name of the opera play, was composed my Mozart. The music, the settings, the plot, the actors and actresses…I loved it all. The State Opera building is a true beauty: high rise seating, golden painted figurines, huge glowing chandeliers. I felt like royalty. I plan on visiting more operas within my lifetime. I find pure bliss in the elegance associated with the atmosphere.

No comments: