Saturday, January 02, 2010

Since When Do I Like History?

All through school, including back in the day in middle school, I've always hated learning about history. Now that I'm here though, I've loved learning about Germany's history and I'm looking forward to learning more about it. It may be because we're here experiencing the history where it took place, or maybe I just really like Germany. Learning about what this country has gone through makes me slightly less close minded each day. Even seeing the differences in their music, food, way of dancing, beer, and energy efficiency makes me open my eyes up a bit more. It seems like we could learn a lot from this country and bring it back home with us. Another part of their history that I found interesting was the T4 program Dr. Wasser lectured about. The Nazis showed propaganda about how the U.S. would sterilize individuals with schizophrenia, alzheimers, etc and that meant it was almost "okay" for them to do it. It seems really easy to put all the blame on Germany for what happened during the reign of the Nazis (though they do take complete responsibility) instead of looking at what America did to contribute as well. This concept can be easily used in everyday life.

Though not related to history, I've so far enjoyed the medicine-type visits we've gone on. Visiting the medical school in Cologne opened my eyes about medicine in general and gave me a better idea as to how I can become involved in the medical field. Visiting the Body World museum showed me how complicated the body really is. Though I already knew this, it makes such a difference to actually see all the muscles and organs of the body in person. As of now I'm planning on going onto graduate school in biomedical sciences to get my Ph.D, and hopefully after this trip, this will be confirmed or I'll have a better idea as to which career path to take.

No comments: