Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Doctors, Animals & Towers...Oh-My!!

(originally written 11/01/2010)

What a day! Unfortunately, I had to visit a German eye doctor today. I consider it the perfect way to end the day after learning about the German healthcare system. According to the doctor who presented the healthcare lecture, the German healthcare system is just as flawed as the healthcare system in the states. However, I do believe there is one advantage to their healthcare system: everyone has healthcare insurance. But back to my visit. There’s nothing really wrong with me besides the fact I have a huge stye on my left eye. It doesn’t hurt at all; just itches really bad. A pharmacist insisted that I see a doctor when I tried to buy stye ointment.

Week 2 has come to an end. Five more days in counting. The veterinary events of this week were really interesting. Animal medicine seemed like a nice career path until my fellow classmates stuck their arms up a cow’s rear-end. Not my cup of tea so I’ll just stick with my interest in human medicine. I find it intriguing how the Germans care for their dogs as if they are human beings. It seems as if dogs have more privileges than humans: dogs can come in restaurants and malls, dogs wear clothes, and so much more. It’s too cute. Even Olaf has what I call the “German dog-fetish syndrome.”

This weekend was marvelous. A group of us drove to Paris! What an experience. The trip in itself was pretty expensive. Buying food was actually depressing. But I was able to take pictures from the top of the Eiffel Tower. Can you believe that? I would go back in a heartbeat. But I plan on waiting until I’m better financed.

So far, I’ve had a tour guide and a saleswoman laugh at our group for visiting Germany in the month of January. If only they knew I’m enjoying every moment of it. Yes, it is mighty cold but to be submerged in what I consider a “winter wonderland” is worth every shake and shiver. Dr. Wasser says this much snow is unusual. So I’m going to enjoy every moment of it before I depart Sunday.

No comments: