Wednesday, January 13, 2010

That's how you get the air out

Yesterday we went to the Heart and Diabetes Center North-Rhine Westphalia and saw a double bypass/aortic valve replacement surgery. I was really excited to get to see a real surgery up close and personal like the actual nurses and doctors do. I was inspiring to listen to the staff talk about their jobs and hear how passionate they were about the work they were doing. We got to take a tour through the hospital where the patients allowed us to look at their artificial heart implants. I could not believe how much of the actual implant was sticking out of the body and how generous the patients were to show us their devices. The hospital atmosphere was exceptional. The patients and doctors seemed to work closely together and know eachother on an individual level, not just broadbased medicine. It made me rethink my deicision about not going to medical school. During the surgery, I was surprised by the doctor's stress-free attitude. The cardiologist at one point grabbed the sides of the opening in the patient and shook the heart making a sloshing sound. He then looked at our astonished faces and laughed saying, "that's how you get the air out." I thought that was quite comical. I would really enjoy going back there one day. Today it was bye, bye Germany and hello Austria. Although they almost speak the same language, I think Austria is a lot different from Germany. Tonight we're doing kareoke, should be exciting!!

No comments: