Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I LOVE EUROPE!!

(originally written 05/01/2010)

I came to Germany not exactly knowing what to expect. But now that I’m here, I can truly say I am overwhelmed. The cities, people, language, public transportation, history…there is so much to learn, yet so little time. A week has passed now and I’ve visited 3 German cities (Bonn, Cologne, and Berlin) and another European country (Prague, Czech Republic). If I had to describe it all in one word, I would say such a word doesn’t exist.

Wednesday, the day before New Years Eve, started pretty early. We caught a train to Cologne from Bonn to visit the Cologne Medical School. Not a long train ride at all…literally took only about 30 to 45 minutes. Olaf, our German program director, taught us what he calls the most important German word…“SCHNELL”…which literally means “fast”. It’s so funny because in Germany you literally have to walk fast or be left behind or get ran over by large crowds of people. So when Olaf yells “SCHNELL SCHNELL”, the group literally runs to catch the train or tram.

We took a tour of the anatomical collection at the medical school. The collections were very interesting. My favorite was a preserved pregnant woman cut in half so that you could see the baby inside of her. Sad story behind her death. She comitted suicide during the 7th or 8th month of her pregnancy for unknown reasons. Next was the city tour. Don’t remember too much of what was said except that the city of Cologne was highly damaged during WWII. Biggest eye catcher of the tour was the Cologne Cathedral. What a magnificent piece of art…mystical. I believe our tour guide said it took about 600 years to build it; and if you saw it you would understand why.

New Years Eve started with an interesting lecture by Dr. Wasser addressing the Nuremburg Code. What an awesome professor. I’ve never been so interested in learning more about history and WWII in particular. I find it astonishing how much influence Nazi Germany had on the current health care policies in Germany now and all the events during that time that shaped the lives of many Germans till this day. Being in Germany has definitely made me appreciate history more than ever before. I want to learn so much more.

The day ended with us flying to Berlin. There were pillows of white snow everywhere. I thought to myself, “Finally, a real white winter!” The snow was so beautiful. It’s a pain chugging luggage in it…but I don’t mind. I consider it an even trade. We brought in New Years on the Brandenburg Gate. What an experience. Lots of people, food, and festives. Even ran into some Aggies!! Only disadvantage…I couldn’t feel my toes, fingers or face…it was that cold!!

Well…guess that’s my week in a glance. Probably left out a lot of other crazy adventures but there’s so many I’m having a hard time keeping up with the program. But I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’m falling in love with Europe.

Tscüß!

No comments: