Monday, January 11, 2010

Berlin and Dresden

Dresden was really cool and I liked how the city is trying to preserve the history that they had before the war. The church of our lady was amazing and the effort and skill put into rebuilding the structure according to the original plans was amazing. I liked how they were able to salvage some of the original building and incorporate it into the new model. Traveling into the underground prayer room was a sobering experience, as you could still smell the stench left from the bombings. It felt kind of rushed though and I wish I would have had more time to travel around the city and see more things. However, traveling to the top of the church and being able to look out over the city was worth it by itself. The hygiene museum was unexpectedly a lot of fun and I loved how interactive everything was. At first I wasn't sure what it was going to be like but it was really cool. It made going through a whole lot more interesting and was a great contrast to the many other museums we have been to while here in Europe.

Traveling to the Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine was really cool and all of the projects that they had going on were really cool. It was also interesting that they used the same building as Nazi euthanasia programs. I found all of it very interesting coming from a biomedical engineering background and I was interested in the international program that they offer and I may look into that when deciding what I want to do after obtaining a bachelors degree. The Otto Bock center was really cool and it was also a very interactive experience and it was cool how it kind of put you in the shoes of somebody with a prosthetic. Overall I thought that Berlin was a good place to go with a lot of history, but it felt more modern and a lot like America with more expression. I think because of this it gave off a different vibe, which is not a bad thing at all.

No comments: