Saturday, January 02, 2010

Just some thoughts

I  am currently sitting on a train heading to Prague, Czech Republic.  I figured blogging on this four hour train ride would be a good use of my time, although sleeping sounds like a much better idea!  But I can always sleep when I die, right?  Earlier I was thinking about what word I would use if I could only describe Germans using one word.   Merry is the word that came to mind.  It can  mean happy and drunk, and from the interactions I've had with Germans on this trip they seem to be happy drunks!  The German lifestyle is on tat is vastly different from the American lifestyle.  Here it is normal to order beer or wine with any meal any time of the day.  Having a glass of wine at a restaurant in Center, Texas for lunch would not be an option.  My hometown is very conservative and most people abstain from alcohol altogether.  I guess this is why the German lifestyle is so interesting to me, because it is so different.

Over these past few days I've tried lots of different food and drinks, all amazing in taste.  I am a huge fan of the bratwurst sausage, as long as it comes with ketchup, and the 1,50 Euro doner.  Gluhwein, Spanish fly, and weitsen are my favorite alcoholic beverages and I am looking forward to trying a Berlinder visse.  

I am excited that In only three hours I will be in the Czech Republic!  I've heard Prague is a beautiful city and I can't wait to see what it has to offer, although I'm nervous about the hostel  I will be staying in.  This will be my first experience staying in a hostel and while I'm glad to be having the experience I'm not sure I'm too happy about it!

Last night was New Years Eve.  The party mile in Berlin was insane.  It was snowing and  there ad to of been nearly one million people at the festival.  Janelle, Caitlyn, and I were freezing, so for most of the night we huddled under on of the portable bars.  We drank Gluhwein and of course had champagne at 12:00.  Besides the terrible weather we had fun.  We met to old couples from Berlin, some people from London, and a guy from Hamburg.  I've noticed most Europeans love t talk  you about the states and which ones they have traveled to.

I will be arriving in Prague in 2 hours!!! I think I'll take a nap and rest up!

No comments: