Saturday, January 16, 2010

Austria is a Different Country!

Wednesday, January 13: Today, we woke up at 4:00am and was out the door by 4:50am. We all slept during the flight from Hannover to Vienna. It was really sad to leave Germany, but Austria is just as nice (cold). We toured the St. Stephens cathedral and the catacombs. I personally dislike spending more than two seconds around graves, but I managed to pull through the entire tour. The bus tour was amazing and very relaxing. It was nice to tour the city without walking as fast as I can and hearing Schnell every five seconds from Olaf. Wednesday night, we decided to go karaoking. I have never experienced singing in front of people. People tell me that I was good, but those same people also say that Janelle was good.

Thursday, January 14: This morning was mostly full of wax. We saw wax models of everything from naked blonds with their internal organs showing to the foot and mouth disease found in animals, which everyone should know is different from hand, foot, and mouth disease. The tower of fools, the first building world wide for the accommodation of mental patients, was an interesting visit. I enjoyed the architects’ theory that when the patients do leave their cells and wonder around, because the building is circular, they will eventually wind up back to their own cell. In the afternoon, we visited the “Spanische Hofreitschule,” the famous horse riding school in Vienna. Amazingly, the school exists in the center of the city, where performances are given as well. The school takes three new students each year and trains them longer than medical students. After the school tour, we had the most delicious sweets and coffee in the world at the famous CafĂ© Demel.

Friday, January 15: Today, the group experienced the Vienna Medical School and got some hands on experience with some dummies. Dominique drew blood. Samy installed a urinary catheter, and I got my heart examined. I could not stop laughing when everyone was touching my chest. In the afternoon, we visited the Sigmund Freud Haus, the museum of where Sigmund Freud lived and practiced medicine in Vienna. Without this man, psychology probably would not exist today. Finally, Friday night, we went to the opera and watched Figaro at the State Opera. Being a music fan, I had already learned the overture by heart, so it was interesting watching the opera that went to the music I had loved for so long. My phone was turned off in my pocket, but the way my hands were resting in my lap turned it on. I was very embarrassed when the entire floor hissed at me. After the opera, we all ate with our classy clothes on at McDonalds, the only restaurant in Europe that stays open past 11:00pm.

No comments: