Monday, January 11, 2010

Bon Jour?

This past weekend we road tripped to Paris. And when I say road trip, I mean it in every sense of the word. We rented a car and made the 7 hour drive to Paris, through snow storms and all. We had to drive throughout the night, but it wasn't too bad because we took rotations sleeping. WE made it to Paris at about 8 in the morning and got lost at the airport trying to find a parking spot. After we found a spot to park, we made it to the trains and started our Paris adventure. I didn't think it was possible to hit up the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Arc de Triumph and Louvre in one day, but we did it! We only brought backpacks so it wasn't too hard to "shlep" them around all day. I made the mistake thinking that Paris was going to be significantly warmer and didn't wear my boots. Not a good idea. It was surprisingly snowing in Paris, and my feet are just now thawing out from the freezing. Paris was so pretty covered in snow. The fountains were almost completely frozen over, and there was snow everywhere you looked. Everyone said it was really rare to see snow in Paris, so I'm happy I got to witness the rarity. The only bad thing about the weather was that we could not go all the way up the Eiffel Tower because of the snow. I want to go back in the summer sometime to actually spend sometime and see Paris. Although we had a pretty restricted time frame, I think we covered as much as possible. We also managed to do it fairly inexpensively, which is almost impossible to do. Inexpensive is not a word in the french language. Because we drove, we saved a lot of money, but it wasn't an easy task organizing everything and actually driving. Today we went to the medical school in Hannover and the cow and horse clinic again. It was cool to see the medical techniques they use and listen to the doctors/professors talk about their occupations. Tomorrow we travel to Bad Oeynhausen to visit the heart and diabetes center of North-Rhine Westphalia. I'm looking forward to watching open hear surgery while being in the actual operating room.

No comments: