Saturday, January 09, 2010

Berlin and Dresden

So far, this trip has been amazing and it seems like each day gets even better. When arriving back in Berlin, the city tour was amazing! It's crazy to me how each city is different in so many ways. My favorite part was being able to see the Berlin wall that is still standing. Though I'm not part of the generation that experienced the Berlin wall, learning about how bad it was and then seeing it in person made me appreciate it a lot more. After the tour was the visit of the medical school. Learning about their "reformed" way of teaching was very interesting and I think that it should be offered this way back in the states as well. Everyone learns differently, so having different options of teaching styles would probably make for better doctors.

On Tuesday when visting Dresden, I was blown away by the Church of Our Lady. The fact that people took so much time and donated so much money to reconstruct it is amazing to me. It just shows that with a lot of support and help, people can come together and do really good things in this world instead of all the bad that goes around. I enjoyed seeing the recovered cross and the new underground where people can go to pray. This church is truly beautiful and it's crazy to think that it was ever blown up and was still ruble nearly 5 years ago.

Another part of this week I enjoyed was on Wednesday visiting the MDC Center for Research. Hearing the researchers explain their projects and seeing their enthusiasm and how much they cared about it made me very exciting about getting involved in the research field. I feel that if I can find something to be excited about like the one researcher we met was about crystallography of proteins, my future would be great. I'm so ready to find that subject, but I know it will come in time. Seeing all the other cool gadgets and projects being worked on was truly amazing. There are so many smart people! I can't wait to see what the rest of this week brings and am excited about Paris this weekend!

No comments: