Saturday, January 09, 2010

Did I Really Just Do That?

The first thing that comes to mind when thinking about writing a blog for this week is how I had my arm inside a cow's body! Though I know I want to get into the human medical side of things, I've really enjoyed learning about the animal teaching hospital and touring all the different clinics. Our first stop at the equine clinic was very cool to me because of my background with horses. I started riding horses when I was about 5 and competed for about 10 years and took care of my horses at home (with my dad's help of course!). Though I've been to a horse vet many times, it was interesting to see their facilities and I was very impressed by its cleanliness and high tech tools! It was also interesting to learn about different horses because most of my horses have been American Quarter Horses, which they don't have in Germany. The small animal clinic was also interesting though I didn't enjoy seeing the sick animals, especially the sad little Westie! By visiting these facilities, I now know for sure that I could never be a veterinarian. It may sound odd, but I feel so bad for dogs and cats and other animals when they're sick, especially because they can't tell you what's wrong with them!

To get back to how I started this blog, visiting the clinic for cattle was by far one of the most interesting and exciting experiences of my life. As I said before, I've been around horses a lot and gone to many large animal vets, but I have never been able to give a rectal exam to a cow! To think that I performed a task that a 5th year vet med student does just blows my mind away. I was so nervous about doing it but I'm so glad I did. Lena the cow (I think that's how you spell her name!) was very nice and I was so surprised it barely phased her that 8 other students gave the exam as well. It was so cool learning about the reproductive system of cattle and then getting in there and actually being able to feel it. I was able to feel the uterus of a cow!! I truly appreciate this opportunity and will never forget it!

No comments: