Monday, June 18, 2018

Week Three? Slow down!!

    This week I think we went to the cutest little beach town to ever exist. Norderney was like a town out of a book or movie. Riding around the island in bikes was the cherry on top to a perfectly cute seaside town. I also experienced the most relaxing school field trip I’ve ever taken. The sauna was an amazing experience that only now can I truly understand why Dr. Wasser loves them. It’s such a cleansing act that I see how it can have positive health effects on the body. It opened up my sinuses, my pores, and freed my mind of any stresses. I also had possibly the best nap of my life afterwards.          In relation to medicine, this isn’t something that I think most Americans would look towards as a type of medical treatment. In the United States, most people view the sauna as an alternative weight loss technique or simply a spa treatment meant to relax you for the day. This trip has truly opened my eyes to the benefits of alternative or natural medicine. 

    In regards to travel and other life lessons, I think I’ve mastered the art of falling asleep on all types of transportation in order to pass time. I also realized that I’ve finally reached the point where I care a lot and put effort into what’s important and just let the other less important things not effect me. I allow myself to be a little stressed or tightly wound about school work and getting that done and putting the hard work in. But I also just let myself relax and go with the flow on the things that don’t have as much importance such as weekend plans. You can’t always plan everything down to the minute and you also can’t just put little effort into everything and expect the best. This is something that I’ve struggled with especially this past year. All through school up until after freshman year, I planned everything and was so tightly wound about school and planning my life and not really enjoying anything else. Sophomore year of college I just tried to be more relaxed and let things happen as they did and not care too much. I also, as a result, didn’t put as much effort into school as I had originally been because I wanted to experience all the fun I had missed and be able to enjoy other parts of life. Now, I’ve found the sweet spot. I know what’s important and that that ultimately needs to take priority in life and I need to put all my effort into it when I’m at school, but in the moments that aren’t consumed by school work, I can go with the flow and just live in the moment. 
Here's a picture of one of the beaches in Palma de Mallorca where we visited this weekend!


No comments: