Monday, June 04, 2018

Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore...

Week one abroad has been a success.

Although I expected differences between life in Germany and life in America, I was not fully mentally prepared to soak in the awe and quirks which make the countries so different. First off, bravo Germany for your local markets. Grabbing fresh fruit and warm pastries has been a delight. Want something quick and cheap to eat? No problem! It's fresh (what a relief that fast food isn't the primary option here).

Public transportation has been awesome. At first, it was pretty terrifying and stressful (especially before you have data for you phone), but after somewhat getting the hang of it, it's been incredible. I love being able to walk from class to a variety of shops and restaurants every day; it's impossible to walk from place to place back home in Texas.

My host family has been incredibly welcoming and pleasant; I couldn't ask for more. My "brothers" have been kind and goofy (typical boys), and the parents have been super helpful. There is a lot of laughter and fun conversation over dinnertime, and meals are never rushed. It is definitely a time to relax and enjoy each others' company.

That is the best part about being here. Life just seems simpler. People seem kinder to each other and are not in a rush. They take their time, enjoy the company they're with, and enjoy their day. People seem to be have little to no stressed, while in America, you can feel the stress of everyone around you and become stressed yourself.

After adjusting the first few days, I have found myself relaxing more and enjoying the area greatly. The weather is beautiful, and walking around town is pleasant. Plus, ice cream (gelato) cones are available for one euro... Rock on. Here's to the weeks where I will both eat and walk more than ever.

Until next time,
Mikayla O'Leary

No comments: