Monday, June 04, 2018

7 Things I Learned in the First 7 Days

1. Most things are not going to go as planned, so if you have to have a layover, give yourself plenty of time!

This trip to Germany started off with both of my flights being delayed. My first flight was scheduled to leave DFW at 7:30am, but got pushed back to 12pm. Luckily, my flight from DC to Germany was not scheduled to leave until 5:30pm, so this was not a problem. My flight from DC boarded on time, but didn't actually leave until about 7pm. The best thing to do is be patient, because some things are totally out of your control!


2. As Americans, we take some of the simple things in life for granted like: AC, free water in restaurants, and free public bathrooms.

The fan in my room has become my bff on this trip, I do not know what I would do without it. My first day here, I paid 5 euros for water at dinner. Yes, the beer is usually cheaper here. And yes, even the public bathrooms cost money. This past week, I traveled to Paris and paid 0,50 euros every time I used the restroom in the bus station.


3. The German word for cheers is prost. This is essential to add to your vocabulary. 


4. Wear quality walking shoes (this does not mean Converse sneakers).

During our trip to Paris, I wore my Converse sneakers. We walked a total of about 27 miles within two days, and let me tell you, my right pinkie toe has not one, but two blisters on it. Learn from my mistakes people, wear good walking shoes.


5. Drinking wine and eat baguettes in front of the Eiffel tower is a power move. 

Seriously, buy wine and a baguette for about 5 euros. You WILL thank me later.


6. Try to speak the language wherever you are, because practice makes perfect!

So far, I have only been in Germany and France. I have done my best at integrating both German and French into my conversations at one point or another (even if it is just a few phrases). It is very fun, so don't get discouraged! It truly is the best way to learn.


7. Studying abroad is the best way to see so many amazing things in such a short period of time.

Over the past week, I have been able to explore Bonn, Paris, and parts of Bingen. I have visited museums (like Haus der Geschichte and the Hildegard von Bingen museum), a castle, the Eiffel Tower, Notre dam, Sacre coeur, Montmartre, Luxembourg gardens, and the Louvre all within the first week. I cannot wait to see what else this trip has in store for me!   

 




~ Jen Reed

No comments: