Monday, June 18, 2018

A Beach Week

This week, our group got the amazing experience of going to Norderney, an island in the North Sea. Part of why Norderney was so captivating, is because this is a place with no American tourists, and without this trip, most of us would have never gotten to experience it. We were rented bikes for the week, because the island is so small that is the easiest way to get around. It was absolutely beautiful, getting to bike around and explore the island.  One thing I learned however, that although I do in fact know how to ride a bike, I was not skilled/ prepared enough for the Tour de Wasser. It was good practice for our bike tour in Berlin, where I can now show off my mad biking skills.

We went to a traditional bath house, and participated in saunas and a mud bath. It was a very unique experience, and really pushed everyone out of their comfort zones. Before going, I never understood the appeal of it, sitting in a hot room sweating to death just did sound like something I would find enjoyable. After experiencing the bath house although I don't have a Wasser level of love saunas, I have an firm appreciation of them and am excited for my next adventure to a bath house. Also while on the island, I had the best ice cream of my life. So, if you ever find yourself on the island go to the small white house next to the bath house and order caramel ice cream with caramel sauce and cookies. Let me tell you, AMAZING!!! 10/10 would recommend. I personally would go back to Norderney just for this ice cream.


Me and some friends then took off for a warmer beach, Palma de Mallorca. We spent a wonderfully relaxing weekend enjoying the sunshine, palella, and naps. I am not a big seafood person, so was hesitant about trying seafood palella, and oh my goodness it was absolute heaven. Thank you google for pointing us in the direction of the best palella in Mallorca. We spent the first day at a very pretty, private cove, where the water was crystal clear. I didn't realize how much I had missed the warm sun and air. Spain weather was a little taste of Texas, much needed after visiting the chilly North Sea. The next day, we went to a more traditional beach in the Mallorca. It was a perfect trip just getting to lay around and soak up the sun. We learned a tough lesson on flying, that even though the strike is in Paris, your flight from Spain could still be canceled. Although this lovely "opportunity for growth" had us all in a panic calling our program coordinator (sorry for calling you on a Friday night Henning!! Your a hero!!) it gave us an extra day on the beach, and who can really complain about that! One thing that's for sure, is that the water in Spain was much warmer than Norderney. 


No comments: