Friday, June 15, 2018

Belgian fries, 2/5 stars (Week 1)

Okay the title may be a bit misleading, Brussels was phenomenal. The waffles, extraordinary. The city, immaculate. The experience, worth it. But dang these fries were like eating at Arby’s, just... eh.

Week 1 was the hardest by far. Having to adjust to the lack of AC with a beating sun in 85 degrees can take a toll, and resulting in me taking a shower 3 times a day to not be sticky with sweat. You can’t tell if doors are push or pull which inevitably leads to running into too many doors or having awkward stares by the locals. Having to carry around adapters to charge everything can get a tad annoying too, especially if you leave them at home. All in all, it’s just an adjustment period we all had to make.

^ that may make it seem like I’m not having a good time, but that’s just about all i could come up with for the negatives. Here’s what’s going good:

My host family is amazing, providing anything we could need, and helping us (Bryan and I) acclimate to living here in Germany.

The city is very “homey”, small and welcoming, cute buildings, a market, parks, etc. Makes it feel less like I’m living on the other side of the entire world.

I’ve learned how to use public transportation, something I think eeeeeveryone should know how to use.

Class is a normal-looking, modern classroom (I don’t know why but I thought our class was gonna be outside or ancient).

The other students on this trip are super open and welcoming, everyone’s becoming friends super easy.

My first weekend trip, to Brussels, was a blast. The architecture and history in the city is beautiful and I would definitely want to come back.

Actually processing that I’m on the other side of the world in a beautiful country, being able to travel and experience so much for the next 5 weeks is still mind boggling.

I’d say I’m pretty content with week 1 and am excited for what else in Europe I’ll get to experience.

No comments: