Monday, June 04, 2018

A Week Without Clothes- Week 1

Sitting here looking back at our first week I am already amazed by how much we have been through. From getting off the plane in Frankfurt, then going through the process of losing luggage and trying to figure out how to get it back, and getting to Bonn, along with meeting our host families, and going on weekend trips, it is all so incredible. Our first weekend trip was to Brussels, Belgium. I have never been to a town like Brussels and immediately fell in love with it. On previous trips, I have been the person who likes to have an idea of what the day is going to contain. But when we arrived in Brussels there wasn't a set plan in mind. It honestly turned out to be the perfect thing for our group. Every time we would walk around a corner we would find something new that was even more fascinating than the last. After experiencing the things that Belgium is known for; waffles, chocolate, beer, and french fries (all of which were amazing), we were ready to return to Bonn to continue our journey here.



Even before our weekend trip to Brussels I was fascinated by the European cities we already went to. It amazes me how old the history is here compared to the United States. Seeing the Marksburg castle on Thursday just proves this. I cannot even imagine someone living in such a place, let alone hundreds of years ago. Going to Bingen was another experience that was so incredible to me. Getting to learn about the history of the clergies, Hildegard and how they affected medicine at this time is mind boggling. Getting to see surgical instruments that were hundreds of years old is insane. I never expected to see anything like that nor did I know medicine that intricate existed at this time.

So far my experience in Germany has been so amazing. I am learning and seeing new things every day. My host family has been great about teaching us the German ways, and even some german itself.

Savana

No comments: