Monday, June 04, 2018

Week Ein

As you can clearly see, I learned how to count in German this week. Evidently that is not a huge deal, especially when my host family heard the news and laughed. But learning German is not the peak of this week for me. The peak, both literally and figuratively, would have to be that of Jungfrau: one of the most beautiful, awe-inspiring mountains on the earth. To look into the distance and see the picturesque snowcap of Jungfrau and the Swiss Alps above and the breathtakingly blue Lake Brienz below, is something I will never forget.

The group that went to Interlaken, Switzerland was comprised of Mary-Cate, Cassidy, Kylie, Kathryn, Bryan, Robert, and myself. We kayaked the lake, ate amazing food (especially fondue), and went to the top of Harder Kulm. It may have only been the first trip, but I think we can all agree that it will be very difficult for the other weekends to compete with the sheer beauty and majesty that is Switzerland. To know that the two days we spent in Interlaken can never be replicated is something I may never get over. The last two days were some of the most enjoyable and rewarding days-from walking one hour to kayak to pigging out on amazing Swiss chocolate. I would be lying if I said I won't miss it for the world.

Despite a few mishaps, the trip was an overwhelming success. Not only was this week and weekend about the trip to Switzerland-it was about the friendships that are being formed and the memories we are all making. So shoutout to those who went to Switzerland for making this trip one to remember for the rest of my life!

Until Dublin,
Matthew


No comments: