Monday, June 11, 2018

huh...am I actually getting the hang of this? (week two)

So, week two. Well, technically week 3 for me. And.....weirdly enough, quite unexpectedly, pleasantly surprisingly....I am actually doing okay as a pseudo German resident. I think this is the time now where we start getting into a rhythm; we now know what to expect somewhat at this point. I am more comfortable walking around Bonn, taking trains, eating with my host family, and even just being with people in our study abroad group. I mean, I still have blunders every now and then. I'll still blush when I stumble over the few German words I can spill out when ordering food, or panic slightly inside when anyone tries to speak German to me. And of course, since it has now been a while, it also means I am starting to miss my family more now. As routine as this is becoming, and I'm proud that I have made myself work at it until it has become routine, it doesn't feel like home. And that is a good thing I guess. That is why I am here, and I keep reminding myself of that. I think the biggest thing that holds me back in life is my fear of getting a little uncomfortable. I need to find the excitement within that unknown potential.
I am very excited for our trip to Norderney. It basically feels like a glorified camping trip, and I am always one for camping (there is even smores). After that, it may be my first out of Germany trip since I have been here. I know, I know, how come I haven't left sooner. Honestly I have just been kind of terrified. I want to push myself but I also don't want to push myself too far too fast. But, I want to give it a try, because the first time I left Bonn for a day to go hiking to a castle, I loved it, and was so happy I decided to go. So hopefully Amsterdam is similar.
I can already feel myself changing, and I'm actually really proud of that. I think now, when I return to the US, I will be a much more confident and assertive person, as I have had to be here in order to get simple things like food. Hopefully next blog will be more interesting, as it will be after Norderney and Amsterdam, but for now, I'll take just feeling comfortable in Bonn!
I apologize for the lack of action so far, I promise once I start going on trips I will have more exciting things to write about *nervous laughter*

No comments: