Thursday, June 21, 2018

Watch out for Fences and Seagulls – Week 3


Our flight from Dublin to Bonn was early Monday morning. By the time I got to the Bonn train station, I didn’t have time to go home before class, so I went to a café called “Zucchini.” I think I have now been there at least four times in three weeks. It is pretty much my favorite place to eat in Bonn. It is a lovely little café where they serve a variety of vegan and gluten free foods. Their salads and gluten free sandwiches are great. Their banana bread is even better! Anyway, I got food and tried to wake myself up with coffee before going to class that day.
In pharmacology, we talked about the different contributors to the research and development of new drugs. We also talked about a research method called high throughput screening. It is a good thing that pharmacology is an interactive, discussion-based class. I probably would have fallen asleep in a traditional lecture considering that I was running on about four hours of sleep.
We left for Norderney, an Island in the North Sea, the next morning. I learned that trains are pretty much the best moving vehicle to sleep on. I slept almost the whole way to the ferry. Once we were on Norderney, we rented bicycles for the week This was my chance to test out my new-found (or as I soon learned, non-existent) biking skills. The ride to the hostel was rough. I was really wobbly, but hey, I got there! After lunch near the hostel, we went on a short bike tour of the city. And, we got ice cream. Of course, we got ice cream. We always get ice cream. And, man, it was good ice cream, the best on the island according to Dr. Wasser. Unfortunately, the ride back to the hostel was anything but smooth. I fell behind, and then in an effort to catch up, I started biking much too fast for my proficiency level. I went around a corner too fast and careened into a fence. Then, I skidded on the pavement and ended up tangled under my bike. Ouch! My jeans were the only thing that saved me from skinning my entire leg. I am really thankful that I only got a horrendous bruise and didn’t injure my knee.   

Probably the best ice cream shop in the whole world

My beautiful bruised leg. It continued to get darker for a couple days, but this was the best picture I had.

On Wednesday, we went to the Badehaus. I was hopeful that the salt water therapy would cure my bruise. It didn’t, but it was relaxing. We toured the basement to see where the water and mud were processed, cleaned, and prepared for use. Then Dr. Wasser lectured about Thalasso, water therapy. He talked about its history and some of its physiology. He also talked about the island environment and how it is good for health. Next, we got to actually use the Badehaus. We went to all of different pools which had different salinities and temperatures. I also tried the 6-meter shower and the steam room. Finally, everyone got to do a mud treatment. My favorite part of the Badehaus was the hottest pool. I really enjoyed the mud treatment as well. After dinner that day, I walked down to the ocean. I contemplated getting all the way on the water, but after feeling it on my legs, I chickened out. It was really, really cold. It did feel good on my bruised leg though.
On Thursday, we went on a bike tour around the dunes. Dr. Wasser stopped periodically to point out different plants and birds, including the Oyster Catcher, which doesn't actually eat oysters. The dunes were beautiful. There were less plants farther from the center of the island because that part is newer. The farthest part of the island was a breeding ground for many bird species. We weren't able to ride all the way to the end. We stopped for lunch at a wooden structure at the top of a dune. It was beautiful. And very, very windy. The bike riding was difficult, especially against the wind and up hill. However, I am very proud of the biking progress I made this week! While I don't have the best control (I hit another fence but didn't fall off my bike), I am more confident. I think I even like riding! After lunch, we visited the Bademuseum. They had a display of swimsuits through the ages. The guide told us how rich women would go and dip in the ocean in a cart so that no one could see them. People have been going to Norderney for health reasons and to visit the beaches for a really long time! The first Badehaus in the island was built over 150 years ago. In the evening, we went on a Wattwanderung, a mudflat hike. I really enjoyed it. At first, we sank into the mud as we walked. Later, the mud was more dense and easier to stand on. Our guide showed us the different animals in the mud flats including some tiny crustaceans and snails and a dorm called the lugworm. Scientists are working on using the lugworm for getting universal hemoglobin for blood transfusions. The hike was amazing, besides some rather sharp cockerel shells. It was so beautiful and unique.




Don't ride bikes past this sign, you might hit friendly sand creatures. Seriously though, the pictures on the signs here are so funny.



This sea gull caught a ride on the ferry back to the mainland on Friday. Apparently, he was waiting to steal food from an unsuspecting victim. I was leaning on the ferry railing, munching on a bread roll, when all of a sudden, someone screamed, something hit my head, and the sea gull stole my food. Crafty little guy.     

       
The next morning, Mary-Cate, Deniz, Amanda, and I caught a train to Amsterdam. We saw tons of sheep and old windmills on the way. On the way to the Rijksmuseum, we walked past a musical trio. They played some very recognizable pieces by composers like Vivaldi and Schumann, and I really enjoyed listening to them! The art museum was inside an old palace. Usually, I don't enjoy art museums, but this one was wonderful. They had a wide array of artists’ works from different periods. They even had delft, which is Dutch blue and white China, and Model ships. We only managed to see half of the museum before we couldn't enjoy it anymore. Next, we went to see the flower market. We stopped in a cheese shop, where I sampled all sorts of gouda cheese. The flower market was fun! There were a lot of tulips and souvenir shops. We went to dinner at a fancy pub. I got ceviche, which is a dish with raw fish, and a fish salad. That close to the North Sea, I couldn't bring myself to eat anything else. 



No bull in the china shop, just a china bull

We found old bassoons int he art museum!

I expected Dutch to be similar to German. I mean, Dutch is a Germanic language, the two countries are neighbors. Some words looked similar, but all of them sounded different. I was surprised how different the languages were. The pronunciation and accents were completely different.
 Sunday, we got Dutch waffles. Gluten-free Dutch waffles. They were amazing. So amazing, in fact, that we all got shirts from the restraint, PANCAKES! Amsterdam. After a wonderful weekend, full of art in museums, on the streets, and on our plates, we headed back to Bonn to prepare for another exciting week.


I have now been in Europe for three full weeks. It really doesn't feel like I have been here that long. I have really enjoyed my classes and extracurricular adventures. Here are some of my observations and what I have learned. I have gotten a lot more confident navigating public transit. Google maps is, of course, a big help, but I can definitely read schedules, make decisions, and plan on my own. I have learned that the German people are, in general, very kind and friendly. They are just reserved. I have learned that I really like the German language. I don't really have a reason to continue learning it, but I hope that I will. I think the language is beautiful. It is soothing to listen to. Sure, it is really confusing right now, but I would like to learn more. I think this trip will give me a good foundation to learn from. I have learned that I can function on less sleep than I normally get as long as I eat enough. I have learned to wear thicker socks with tennis shoes to prevent blisters. I have learned to be more flexible. On weekend trips, I make my number one priority known and then go with the group. As long as I have food, I am a happy camper. So, I always have snacks. I have learned that Europeans have great gluten free food! The quality of the bread and the number of options at restaurants is spoiling me. I have learned to always wear my mask around smoking even when I do not think it is bothering me. This keeps me from having asthma later. I even learned how to ride a bike! But when biking, don't forget, fences are hazards.

Mile count for the week: 44.17 miles

No comments: