Tuesday, June 05, 2018

Week One & Already Dreading the Departure


I am in constant awe each day as I walk through Bonn. The food, the people, the beer, and all of the culture has surpassed what I was expecting. All of the residents are very welcoming and understanding towards our little English. I can already tell that this is the perfect city for me to spend my summer.
There is definitely a language barrier between my host mom and myself, but I am looking at it as an opportunity to become stronger in my German and overcome this barrier. We live right on the Rhine River so I get to wake up to the breathtaking view every morning and spend my evenings sitting outside on the river with my roommate Madison.
On Friday, we traveled about two hours outside of Bonn to visit Bingen and Braubach. The museum and history in Bingen was remarkable. My favorite part was observing a very historic surgical set from a physician that was in the area. In Braubach, we walked through an old castle and it was amazing to hear all about the background information and evolution of the castle. Also, it has some of the most beautiful views I have seen so far.
This past weekend I traveled to Brussels, Belgium with 11 other students. I didnt have too many expectations for the city and really only knew that they were known for their outstanding waffles and chocolates (which I can confirm is a well-deserved title). However, little did I know how much beauty was awaiting us in Brussels. We decided not to plan out any of our weekend and just walked around the city, stumbling across amazing cathedrals and buildings on our 12-mile trek. We managed to see almost all of the major sites and had an amazing time while doing so. I can honestly say that Belgium was a huge surprise for myself and I will 100% be returning. This past week has easily been the best time of my life and I am already dreading getting on my plane back to America. Time please slow down!
The view outside our host family's house.

Learning all about the German beers.

The view from the castle in Braubach.

Our Belgium crew!

Brussels, Belgium

No comments: