Thursday, June 28, 2018

Canada Looks Just Like This!

After getting back on a night train from Copenhagen, the best start of the week was not having class until 2 pm on Monday aka sleeping in. Having the last class with Dr. Fajt was extremely sad! I will definitely miss her even though it was a very short amount of time. Class this week was awesome though, I loved hearing Dr. Wasser talk about the Nuremberg doctors/trails because I've actually seen and been to many of the places he spoke about in the lectures!

On Tuesday we went and shadowed at the hospital in Bonn. Even though I'm not 100% on the pre-med train anymore, being able to still see what goes in the hospitals I want to be influencing is awesome! We shadowed in the LAO department (still not sure what it means) and saw them remove a lipoma from a woman's back. It was a tumor about the size of a softball! We also talked to the anesthesiologist a lot and he made us feel extremely welcome in the otherwise German speaking OR

The next day we got to tour the towers of the Cologne Cathedral, and while I may be partial to the Sagrada Familia, it is still BEAUTIFUL. It was one of the most beautiful views and one of the coolest tours ever. That night we again stayed in Cologne and hung out and got to eat dinner as an almost whole group. It's made me realize I'm really going to miss these people when we're gone. I don't think I noticed how close I got to so many of them until I started thinking about not seeing them 24/7.

An iron lung!





We also toured the anesthesia museum, which was founded by one of the cutest old men. The Horst-Stoeckel museum had one of the coolest collections of old anesthesia equipment and history behind what makes it what it is today! 

The weekend was one for the books. We got out of class fairly early on Friday and went back to our houses (or Bonnox) to pack and chill before our night train to Interlaken, Switzerland. After a fantastic dinner at Vapiano (love of my life) Jen, Lauren, Catherine and I sat and hung out until it was time to leave. Who knew going from Mamma Mia songs to Problem would be so fun?

We get to the good ole Hauptbahnhof and not to our surprise sadly, the train was delayed. and then cancelled. and then moved to another station in Bonn. THANKS DEUTSCHE BAHN. An 11 euro "you will be reimbursed" taxi and a creepy man talking to us while we waited an hour for the train and we were off.

Switzerland, wow. Stepping off the train was surreal. The water was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen and even with my exhaustion, I had to spend as much time as possible outside enjoying the views. We walked around, sat by the most beautiful lake, and of course, PARAGLIDING!!!

Paragliding was the absolute coolest experiences of my life and even if you're slightly scared of heights, DO IT. It was beautiful. My guide Nick from paragliding Interlaken was fantastic and answered my 1000 questions about everything in Interlaken and Switzerland. 

That night we cooked pasta in the hostel kitchen (have to be cheap), ate some fondue and prepared for what would be the longest hike we didn't know we were getting in to!!

Harder Kulm was exactly how it sounds. HARD. 6.5 miles straight uphill and 2.5 hours later we made it to the top.




The view was the prize at the end and it did not disappoint. 

After eating some pizza, walking down the main road and eating some Swiss chocolate, it was time to say bye to our happy place. Even if according to Catherine "It looks just like Canada!!", Interlaken is one of a kind!

No comments: