Sunday, June 17, 2018

The Unexpected Adventures of Norderney- Week 3

Going into week three I was very skeptical about liking Norderney. After learning about what the island entailed with the mud bath and sauna I became very nervous. I have never been the type of person who is that comfortable in their skin to be around other people like what was required. But when it came down to everything, I decided to go for it. I can say that it was the best decision I ever made. Going through the mud bath and sauna made me feel so empowered and fearless. Another thing I never expected to do would be riding a bike around an island. This was so much fun and I am really glad it was something that we did. The last time I rode a bike was years and years ago, and this also made me nervous for this trip. But getting back on the bike, it was like I never stopped ridding. It was so great and everyone had so much fun being on them.

For some reason when I pictured German towns I pictured them to look exactly like Norderney. I loved the small town feel there and it was instantly very homey. Being able to get around on bikes and walking was amazing. I wish it were that simple in my hometown. I also enjoyed being so close to the beach. The sand on Norderney was unlike anything I had felt before. It was so soft.

The mud walk that we did the night before we left was another experience I had not expected. When I pictured this adventure, it was very different than what happened. The guide that we had was very knowledgeable. She really surprised me by plopping down a worm into my hand. I loved getting to know about the organisms that can live in such an environment because it was quite surprising that there were so many. 

Norderney has so far been my favorite experience. I went way out of my comfort zone and did something that I will most likely never get another opportunity to do. I love that this experience is pushing my limits and making me try new things. I think I get so comfortable in my bubble that I don't realize how many different things there are outside of it. I am so happy that I got to try these things and had such supportive friends to help me through it.


This weekend I decided to stay home in Bonn. I got to catch up on a little bit of sleep, but I also got to explore more of Bonn. Mikayla and I shopped quite a bit, checked out Beethoven's house, and ate lots of different food. There was also a small festival going on that we went to and enjoyed. We got to leave our small mark in Bonn by going to a spray painting event here at the Beethoven's house new building. While we didn't go and travel to a different country or different city this weekend, it was still amazing to have a calmer weekend before things ramp up within the next few weeks.

Savana

No comments: