Monday, June 04, 2018

The Reasons I Haven't Slept

The day before I flew out of Houston, I probably slept 3 hours. The excitement of FINALLY coming to Bonn was definitely getting to me. I boarded my flight alone to Philly and slept about 2 hours on that flight, so around 5 total hours. After waiting in the Philly airport for what seemed like forever, Stone finally lands and I'm not alone anymore, and luckily we got seats next to each other on the plane! While many people around me tried to sleep, I was too engrossed in the fantastic movies, (If you haven't seen Coco you need to stop everything and watch it) talking to Stone, eating my airplane food and the idea of what was going to be in store this week.

The first day was the longest day of my life.

We sat in the airport talking for around 5 hours and we all agreed that the day felt like it was 3 days bundled into one. It was great hearing what everyone was excited about and finally putting a face to the name that had been popping up in groupme so many times, I was ready for bed. Five hours on a day that felt like 3 wasn't a great feeling.

We get to Bonnox completely overwhelmed and instead of being able to instantly lay down, we had to go to the grocery store! It was an interesting experience picking up meat we hoped was chicken. We also decided venturing into our new found home would be a great idea so we wouldn't be lost in the morning and ate some of the BEST food I've ever tried. (shout out to Bonnsch Brahaus) We got back to the hotel around midnight, and had to be up bright and early to meet at the Hauptbahnhof so only about 7 hours of sleep. Im glad we woke up as early as we did, because if we wouldn't have the extremely long wait for the trains to pass (30 minutes!!!) could have made us even more late.

The rest of the week was spent going to super cool restaurants at night (Patatas Bravas from Mojito are to die for), trying to cook for ourselves and venturing around Bonn. Who knew that sitting at a Biergarten with new friends could be one of the greatest things you've done?

After semi catching up on my lack of sleep during the week, the weekend took ALL of my energy plus more. Friday afternoon, we boarded what we thought would be an easy journey to the Köln/Bonn airport. One train, one bus ticket with no idea where the bus met, one train ticket with a cancelled train, one taxi and 75 euros later, we made it to the bus station. The bus shows up 15 minutes late and after making friends with a guy from New Zealand we were on our way to Paris! Sadly, the stress of the trip to the bus, the ac, and not being in a bed got to me, so I only slept about 3 hours. 

We make it to Paris at 6am and walk to meet one of my best friends from home for a fulfilled day in Paris!! We saw SO many things (we actually walked 16 miles), got lost in the worst area we could imagine and almost got scammed by some locals, but the sheer beauty of the city makes up for it! I could have spent hours wandering around Montmatre! After getting to our airbnb at 11pm, we had to wake up again at the crack of dawn (5:45 AM) for another day in Paris. Getting back on the bus this time was an adventure. The bus was packed and it made sleeping even worse. 5 hours of sleep later, we arrived back in Bonn, figured the bus system out and took a quick nap before class started. 

Even with getting around 40 hours of sleep for a whole week, I would trade the beauty, German beer, baguettes and new friends for anything!

Here's to catching up on sleep in summer 2!!!


 P.S. Isn't Bonn beautiful??


No comments: