Monday, June 04, 2018

Amanda's Triumphs and Not-So Triumphs of the First Week

Week One!!! Lets start with the triumphs of this week. I successfully figured out how to take the train from my host family to Bonn Central Station, and how to walk to the AIB station (with some slight problems which I will discuss later). I have successfully been ordering lunch every day, sometimes "almost" all in German, or at least to the point where they never feel they need to switch to English. I successfully traveled outside of Bonn by train to the Burg Eltz castle to go hiking (granted with two other people...but still). Side note: Burg Eltz was awesome, it was my first time leaving Bonn, I was freaking out, and I had an amazing time hiking and exploring the castle. I am very happy I decided to go. Ok, side note over. I successfully did laundry for the first time today (well...it is currently drying so maybe it wasn't successful, I will have to check in the morning, but I am going to hope that it was). I am making good, consistent conversation with my host family, I am even making them laugh a lot. I have been pushing myself to not just return home after classes, and actually try to hang out with other students afterward. I went to a grocery store and bought food for myself for lunch on Sunday when most stores were closed. I have won the love of my host family's cat Mila. I think I somewhat look like a local when I casually walk around now....as long as I don't talk. At least I don't look nervous with confusion anymore.
Now....for the admittedly embarrassing not-so-triumphs. I got locked outside of my house twice. With keys. Just couldn't get the keys to open the door. First time, it was the outside door, and I had to text my host mom to let me in. The second time, it was the door into the actual house, and I was out there for an hour. Finally got it on my own. I know now better. My train back home was evacuated one day, and the passengers clearly knew what to do from the German overhead announcement....as an American tourist...I did not. They tried for like 2 minutes to get me off with them. Of course I was then at an unknown station with no great way of contacting anyone. So...I was freaking out. Thankfully another train came along and I got home. Basically when anything not normal happened with the trains I felt like the world was ending. All in all, I am happy I got through most of this on my own. Though I was panicking at the time, I know get a pretty good laugh about it.
Image may contain: Amanda Stuart, smiling, standing, sky, outdoor and nature
Image may contain: tree, plant, sky, bridge, outdoor and nature
Image may contain: cloud, sky, mountain, tree, outdoor, nature and water

No comments: