Monday, June 18, 2018

Week 3: Norden-I-should-have-brought-more-clothes

In all honesty, I had specific expectations of Nordeney. Mostly- that it would be a lot warmer. Not necessarily 85 degrees warm, but I was assured that only a couple of long sleeves and a jacket would suffice. Much to my surprise, it was far colder and windier, considering that I freeze at 79 growing up cold blooded in Texas. However, the overall experience to me could be summed up in a single word: disconnected. Riding bikes everywhere, we were away from gas emissions from cars. The air was incredibly clean, the towns were set up almost like I were in a permanent movie set. The lack of (good) WiFi forced me to be present in the moment, not searching for a millennial outlet for boredom. I went outside, despite the frigid winds, smelled the salty air, and filled my shoes with sands…not on purpose of course. The day of the Baudehaus was intimidating at first, as bare bodies have a taboo in America. Once I was eventually comfortable with the situation, I left feeling reborn. After not having a single “break” for the past 2 years, lying in the sauna and then in the previously cold air (now normal after leaving the sauna) ending with slides and a wave pool had stripped away any tenseness I was feeling before. I understand why Germans and the Finnish integrated this as a part of their culture. If we did this regularly in America, I’m convinced that we would have different people with lower stresses. The one thing I did notice is that there are a fair amount of elderly people in the town, which is conceivable considering that the primary modes of transportation require physical exercise. Everything is within its own quiet bubble, and everyone smiles. Heck, if I were in Germany I’d pack my bags myself, along with a heated blanket.
The weekend after Nordeney I went to Amsterdam and had the stereotypical picturesque canal-with-houses images in my head. Much to my surprise, the city was exactly what I had expected. But, the city overall truly is breathtaking and I highly suggest it to all the people who wish to go. The quality of the food in Dutch restaurants is truly above par. If you've never heard of Stroopwaffles, it's about time you look them up. The dutch really know their waffles!

No comments: