Monday, June 11, 2018

Baby, Break a Sweat

Boy, has this been an incredibly eventful two weeks.  As week 2 rolled around, I did not know how I could possibly have another week as jam-packed as the first without having time for a nap, yet here I am (but I am certainly not complaining).  As our host dad says, "You can sleep when you're home!"  I plan on taking advantage of every moment I have over here (I say as I type this blog at 11pm that is due tonight when I only slept 2 hours last night and have to be up at 5:00 tomorrow morning for our Norderney excursion).

This past week has been filled with variety, and I have been finding myself losing grasp of time.  On one hand, it feels that I just stepped on the plane to come over here, but more than anything, it feels that I have been here for months just because it is hard to believe that I could have possibly been able to do this many things and have this many experiences in such a short time.  Okay, so on the list of events from this week include our first pharmacology class, learning about saunas from an impressive presentation and an even more impressive lyrical performance by Dr. Wasser (we were so moved that we even requested "Baby, Break a Sweat" at the club a few days later), touring Cologne, figuring that I actually really do enjoy beer, eating my weight in gelato, traveling to beautiful Ireland for the weekend, and more.  I cannot believe this is my life.

I would like to touch most on two things - one is our Ireland trip and the other involves the tour of Cologne...

1. Our trip to Ireland was incredible.  First off, I was simply excited to be in a country where I could understand the language and be understood in return (lol).  But more than that, I was thrilled to add yet another country to my list of those I have visited.  Before this trip, I'd only lived in the U.S. and as my house in Michigan is about an hour from the Canadian border, I had also visited there only once or twice before.  Now, I have already added three more countries to my list and in only two weeks (and with more to come).  I just truly did not believe I would be able to say I had visited such magnificent places - at least not anytime soon, that's for sure.  But anyway, you know when you get to a place or an area or are around certain people and you just feel good?  Like almost untouchable?  That's how I felt as we took our first steps along the downtown streets of Dublin.  The dream-like feeling has just not escaped me.  In three nights and two days, our group used up every second.  The first night, even though we did not get to our hostel until around 10pm, we still had to go out for some beers of course.  The next day, we were up to go to breakfast at the cutest little diner downtown.  After a great meal and even better desserts - blackberry/apple crumble and bailey's cheesecake - we strolled through all the big sites of Dublin then were on our way to the Guinness tour where we learned to smell and taste beer, tasted different beers, watched a drum and Irish tap dance performance, poured our perfect Guinness pints, and finished those pints at the top of the building with a 360-degree view.  We had a nice fish and chips dinner, walked around some more, and were out again that night.  The following day, it was another early morning as we hopped on a bus to take us to the breathtaking Cliffs of Moher.  When we walked up along the edge to see the cliffs, I was in awe.  The 700ft drop, the greenery surrounding the cliffs, the ocean, and all the contrasting colors on a gloomy day off the Ireland coast all made for a picturesque moment.  It was one of those moments where you truly cannot believe your eyes.  And I, yet again, could not believe I was there.  I mean, after all, this site was where filming for Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, and The Princess Bride took place.  How cool is that.  LITERAL MOVIES/SERIES.  FAMOUS CLIPS.  FROM MOVIE SCREENS.  WOW.  It is simply incredible what sites and views can do for the mind, and I couldn't stop thinking that as people from across the globe came to see this site.  It was unreal, and it amazes me more and more each time I think about it.  Nature and the scenes it paints are magic.  That night, we were back out again.  After starting the evening by unbelievably running into the friend of one of the guys on our trip's mom at a pub, this night unexpectedly turned into the most fun Sunday night I had ever had.  But remember that 2 hours of sleep thing I mentioned earlier?  Well when you have to catch a plane at 6:50 the next morning and class in a different country at 13:00, there's not a whole lot of sleep to be had.  It's all part of the memories.  I'm just lucky enough to have the people I do on this trip that are always so eager to experience these times we're having to the fullest and who are just as great to be around when we are all tired and struggling running late to our flight.  It's only been two weeks, and it's crazy how close you can get to people in that amount of time.

Okay, and the second topic is going to be short because here I am at 11:45 and still not finished yet...

2. While in Cologne, we were waiting to go into the cathedral for our tour, and as we are sitting outside, a band is set up to play music with a two different singers.  A couple songs go by, and everyone in our group and all the spectators are really enjoying it.  And then, as one song comes to an end, the next singer steps up and the pianist begins to play "Hallelujah."  It was a sense of complete serenity and peace.  Just a beautiful feeling that cannot be described.  We were sitting in front of the most remarkable piece of architecture I had ever seen before with one of the most beautiful songs in existence and we're in Germany and the song and the cathedral complimented each other perfectly and I just cannot believe it.  It was now of those moments that my parents always talk to me about when they tell me that life is a masterpiece - composed of experiences and moments and feelings such as this.  And how lucky I am to have had such profound ones like this so often and so soon.  I am just so happy.  And content.  And thankful.

It is certainly a good life.  Goodnight, and all the best.  This girl needs some Z's.


-Kylie Reis

Cologne Cathedral.


Cliffs of Moher.


Also Cliffs of Moher.  Crazy Beautiful.

The Chuck Taylors have seen a lot.


No comments: